After taking a look at the 2008 Report for the Texas Long Range Plan for Technology, it was interesting to see where we stood as a state. The Data which was shared from the NetDay Speak Up 2007 definitely put into perspective where our students technology capabilities lie. Based on those survey results alone, it is promising that Texas is doing something about setting our studnets up to be functional and successful citizens of the digital age.
But are we? As you view the state programs, it appears that there are many campuses around the state, in several different districts, that are highly advanced thanks to their involvement in the Technology Immersion Pilot. These campuses seemed to be a minority though. Not to say that starting off small is a bad thing, but, I would think that you would have multiple campuses at each grade level from every district in the state that was taking part in this pilot. You will definitley have districts that are not in the Pilot falling behind.
Another thing that was a bit distrubing is that many campuses appear to be at the developmental stage. Now considering this report is three years old, I would imagine that this would change. However, I know from my own campus results, that we too are in Developmental Ratings in a couple of the STaR chart catagories.
I know change doesn't happen overnight. I was just a little thrown off that more campuses and districts would not be operating at an Advanced Tech Level. In fact, in some cases, there seemed to be a regression in the numbers of higher performing schools. I realize that technology is changing constantly, so we could verywell become overwhelmed with new applications; thus, taking a step or two back in order to move forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment