Tonight I took part in Dr. Cindy Cummings Web Conference. This was my first experience with Web Conferencing, and I must say there was both positive and negative aspects of the experience.
I can definitely see the potential for on-line collaboration between campuses, students who are out sick, experiences with speakers in non-local places, or even virtual fieldtrips. The many options of chat, video and audio allow for different experiences and skills. There was a lot of information that was shared. As we got into a discussion on Web 2.0 tools, it was amazing the number of websites and software that was being shared across the chat board. Though there were many questions about some of Lamar's procedures regarding graduation and certification, there were also some about the state budget and funding for technology which allowed for some great information to be shared regarding the governments stand on the budget.
I thought there were a few down sides to the conference. With 99+ participants, it made it somewhat difficult to keep up with the chat, and much of the audio was not accessible. I could see how a smaller conference size would make better use of these options. I also didn't think there was a lot of opportunity to learn about some of the button options, as most of the discussion was done on chat.
I definitely like the idea, and am trying to think of ways I might use this in my class room, or planning with other teachers horizontally. I am sure it will hit me in the middle of the night as I wake from my slumber.
We understand and value your comments. Thank you for posting.
ReplyDelete